Is good sportsmanship a lost cause? Tonight's game of Bats vs. Ironbirds make me question what is really important in baseball. Jenny was scorekeeper for the Bats and the coaches wife of the Ironbirds was scorekeeper for them. I was sitting smack dab in between the two. After Jason's first pitcher finished the top of the first inning he stopped by and asked her what she had for a pitch count....
Rude Ironbird lady - "37"
Cute coach Jason-"Well I had 35"
Rude lady-"I have a pitch counter"
Cute Jason-"So do I, I'll split ya and we'll say 36" then he ran to coach at third base
Rude lady-"I know what the count is, I'm right it's 37, I hate when people question me, I'm always right."
Rude lady's friend- "Well who is the official scorekeeper?"
Rude lady-"I am, so there you go"
It went on like this all night. She was so rude and all about the numbers the errors, telling her husband where he needed to fix holes in the outfield, telling the team where people had hit the ball to at their previous at bats and on and on. It was annoying!
To me baseball is about teamwork and teaching kids skills to help them love the game, not playing for blood.
Kudos to Jason for keeping his cool and nicely helping the other coach be aware of what went on. Jason has done a great job this year with his team. He has been nothing but positive and encouraging to his team, and kids on other teams for that matter. The Bats are really starting to gel and get into a groove. I am proud of Jason and the Bats for their example of what good sportsmanship is all about. Rude lady is lucky I didn't pull out a can of whoop A on her tonight. Don't mess with my man and his team!!:)
Thursday, April 24, 2008
Sportsmanship
Posted by
kkicks
at
8:36 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment